Oregon Measure 114 states that an individual wishing to purchase a firearm in the state must complete a firearm safety training course prior to obtaining a permit-to-purchase. The safety training must be conducted by a recognized organization, like Legal Heat, that utilizes “instructors certified by a law enforcement agency”. The training must consist of instruction on several mandatory subjects, all of which will be covered by this course:
- A review of federal and state laws in place at the time of the class related to ownership, purchase, transfer, use and transportation of firearms;
- A review of federal and state safe storage laws in place at the time of the class and other safe practices related to safe storage, including reporting lost and stolen guns;
- Prevention of abuse or misuse of firearms, including the impact of homicide and suicide on families, communities and the country as a whole;
- Safe practices related to use of firearms
In addition to the completing this online course, each student must also complete an in-person demonstration of:
- Their ability to lock, load, unload, fire and store a firearm.
This in-person demonstration, including the live-fire exercise, will be scheduled separately and completed after you complete this online training. Legal Heat has several of these range training sessions available, you can review them here. It is anticipated the range session will take approximately 1 hour to complete.