Certifications Obtained Through This Course
- Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP)
Legal Heat’s Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) course fully satisfies the mandatory training requirements to apply for your permit.
Specifically, this class includes the following training:
- One hour of instruction on handgun nomenclature and safe handling procedures of a revolver and semi-automatic pistol;
- One hour of instruction on ammunition knowledge and fundamentals of pistol shooting;
- Three hours of instruction on the use of deadly force and conflict resolution which will include a review important state and federal firearm laws, including laws relating to the use of deadly force;
- One hour of instruction on handgun shooting positions;
- One hour of instruction on child access prevention; and
- Two hours of actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures are required as listed below:
- Live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 6 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet for a total of 36 rounds,
- Each applicant or permittee must perform at least one safe reload of the handgun at each distance,
- Each applicant or permittee must score 100% hits within the silhouette portion of a NRA B-27 Type silhouette target with at least 36 rounds.
Legal Heat’s firearm training instructors are all certified, insured and among the most highly experienced in the industry. They can answer all of your CHP related questions. Legal Heat hires less than 1% of instructors who apply to be on our team, rest assured you are getting the best instructors and training possible.
This class typically runs 9 hours (as required by law) and meets all of the training requirements needed to obtain your permit.
This course will also cover the requirements for the refresher course which is needed to renew your Louisiana 5 year or lifetime permit.
This class is held in conjunction with our partner store Bass Pro Shops in Denham Springs, LA.
1. Where can I carry after I receive my permit(s)?
NOTE: Where a state’s permit is honored (often called “reciprocity”) will change from time to time. Having multiple state carry permits can help cover the gaps in any potential changes. As such, we always suggest checking the Legal Heat App or our Legal Heat “50 State Guide to Firearm Laws and Regulations” book before you travel, to ensure your permit is valid in the locations you will be visiting.
Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP)
2. What should I know about the Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP)?
Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) Fees:
State application fees of $60 (for the first 5 years) and the renewal fee of $43 (every 5 years after) for Arizona residents and non-residents are paid directly to the state at the time the application is submitted and are not included in the class fee. Arizona permits can be applied for by mail. These forms are provided for you during class and your instructor will assist you in completing them.
3. What can I expect to learn during this class?
Legal Heat’s firearm training instructors are not just highly experienced, but genuinely friendly and enjoy teaching everyone from new to seasoned shooters. They are among the best in the industry. Whether you’ve never touched a gun, or you’ve been shooting most of your life, you will enjoy this fun, non-intimidating, truly engaging class.
Here are some of the topics we cover:
- Firearm safety
- Parts and operation
- Shooting fundamentals
- Care and storage (guns and ammo)
- Maintenance & cleaning
- Range rules
- Vehicle transport (local and interstate)
- Airplane transport
- Purchase and transfer
- Police encounters
- Duty to inform
- Open carry vs. concealed carry
- Concealed carry techniques
- Perceived threat reaction
- Avoiding confrontation (situational awareness)
- Escalation of force
- Deadly force
- State and Federal law
- Castle doctrine (defense of habitation)
- Stand your ground vs. duty to retreat
- Imminence and reasonableness
- Physical, emotional, legal and financial ramifications
- Suicide Prevention
- And more
4. What should I bring with me to class?
Students MUST bring the following items to the class:
✓ Your valid photo ID
✓ Your printed email ticket
✓ Pen and Paper if you’d like to take notes
✓ Please bring bottled water to keep hydrated
DO NOT bring firearms or ammunition into the classroom
5. Will fingerprinting services and a passport photo be offered during class?
Fingerprinting services are available during most classes for a nominal fee of $10 per card. When applying for your home state permit your local issuing agency may want to fingerprint you. Your instructor will provide full details during class.
Arizona’s permit requires TWO fingerprint cards to accompany your application.
Utah’s permit requires ONE fingerprint card to accompany your application.
In classes where we teach the Utah permit, we will take your picture and print out a free passport size photo for you to submit with your Utah application.
Arizona does not require a photo with the application.
6. Who is Legal Heat?
Legal Heat’s instructors’ collective resume’s include legal experience as attorneys and prosecutors, multiple law enforcement agencies, (FBI, SWAT, DEA) all branches of the US military (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines & Coast Guard including service in Special Forces), executive protection, bail bond recovery agents and nationally competitive shooters in USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun, NRA and other competitions. All of our instructors share or collective passion for teaching and bringing new people into the family of responsible firearms owners.
Legal Heat holds concealed carry classes and firearms training classes in 150+ locations in over 35+ states in partnership with great retailers like Sportsman’s Warehouse, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, North 40, CAL Ranch, Scheel’s, and others.
In 2019, in response to consumer demand, Legal Heat began offering online training in addition to our industry-leading instructor-led training.
Legal Heat also produces the “50 State Guide to Firearm Laws and Regulations” book and App. It is the only App featuring comprehensive carry law summaries written by attorneys.
The App is recommended by:
- U.S. Concealed Carry Association
- Massad Ayoob
- ITS Tactical
- and over 300,000 users with great reviews.
The App provides:
- The most current law updates in the industry
- Concealed carry laws
- Open carry laws
- Easy navigation
- Reciprocity maps
- Firearm transport laws
- Video illustrations
This App (or softcover book) is a must-have for every firearm owner in the United States. You may find the App in the App Store and Google Play. The book can be found on our website, under the Products tab.
7. What are people saying about this class?
“Just wanted to thank you for the great women’s class last night at the Midvale Sportsman’s store. It was very informative. I feel like I really learned a lot.Thanks again,” Dawna F.
“Today we completed a concealed carry course with instructor Paul M, in Albuquerque, NM. We wanted to take just a few minutes to let you know how pleased we were with our experience! It was well worth the money! Paul is a gifted instructor. We left the class with much more knowledge about gun safety AND the law, which is exactly what we were hoping for in such a course. We enjoyed that Paul appropriately used humor and gave real-world examples to help us retain the information. He is clearly skilled with firearms and we felt very confident in his abilities on the range. What you offer through your course, and through talented instructors like Paul, is a true benefit to our society. Thank you for helping us be better prepared to protect our family. Sincerely,” Daniel and Shirley C.
“I recently attended a Concealed Carry Permit class in Altoona, Pa. …I felt the need to commend both the instructor Jacquline and Legal Heat on an excellent class. I have and will continue to recommend the class to other people in my area. Good job to all of you.” David M.
“Thank you for creating and keeping the App up to date. Having spent the last three years full-time on the road circumnavigating the US twice, I have depended on LegalHeat to keep me appraised of each State’s unique and changing firearm restrictions. Please keep up the excellent work!” Archie R.
8. *What do I bring to the Louisiana RANGE?
First, your gun should be completely unloaded and in a secure gun case. Magazines unloaded as well. Your gun and ammunition must be securely locked in your vehicle or otherwise secured during any classroom portion of the day(s). The only time guns are to be loaded is at the firing line of the gun range, after your instructor has directed you to load. All other times they are to be completely unloaded.
Items to bring to the range include:
- A fully functioning UNLOADED, CASED semiautomatic pistol or revolver. No antiques.
- Firearm rentals are not available.
- 100 rounds of ammunition. No steel cased, armor piercing or tracer ammo permitted.
- Ear and eye protection.
- An auto-loader or speed-loader if preferred, but note: you must show your instructor you can successfully manually load and unload your firearm as part of the range requirement.
- A holster, if you have one.
- Comfortable (range of motion) clothes. No V-necks or low-cut shirts.
- Please dress for outside weather conditions.
- Flat-soled shoes with good traction and support that completely enclose your feet. No flip-flops, sandals or open footwear.
- Snacks and drinks are permitted but will not be allowed at the firing line.
There are no compromises on safety. Safety is a critical aspect of all classes and unsafe or disruptive behavior in class or at the range will result in that person is asked to leave the class. In the event you are asked to leave, you will not be refunded. The instructor has sole discretion in determining if you have engaged in unsafe or disruptive behavior.
Please show up PROMPTLY for class. Please keep in mind some of our classes start at the same time the store opens, so please check the store hours and ensure you are seated in the class at start time. Our instructors are required by law to cover a certain amount of material. If you are not present for the entire class, you will not be qualified for the permit(s). If you show up late, you may be turned away and asked to reschedule. Our instructors cannot risk their accreditations by certifying those who are not in attendance for the entire class, or people who are absent from any significant portion of the class. You may reschedule your paid class once for free, and then for $15.00 per additional reschedule within a year of purchase. Thank you for your support. We look forward to seeing you for a great class!
There are no compromises on safety. Safety is a critical aspect of all classes and unsafe or disruptive behavior in class or on the range will result in dismissal. In the event you are dismissed due to a safety issue, you will not be refunded. The instructor has sole discretion in determining if you have engaged in unsafe or disruptive behavior.
Class fees are nonrefundable. Classes rescheduled due to acts of God, including extreme weather or store closures outside of Legal Heat's control will be rescheduled in place of a refund. Changes in class location or class schedule will be communicated by the email address and phone number you provide. All content is subject to change without notice.
All future class dates are tentative based upon Corona Virus restrictions. By purchasing a ticket you agree that all in-person class fees are 100% NON-REFUNDABLE. You accept that if your class has to be rescheduled due to Corona Virus directives from any governmental entity, venue partner or for ANY other reason, your only recourse is to reschedule the class for a future date.
In the interest of everyone's health and safety, we are asking students who do not feel well on the day of class to reschedule their class for a future date at no charge. If you have health concerns about attending a class, we are happy to reschedule your class for a future class date at no charge. If you need to reschedule your course, please email your original receipt to [email protected], along with the date of the future class you would like to attend.
If you have any underlying medical conditions as identified by the CDC please follow the CDC guidance and do not attend any large gathering including our classes. Here is the CDC guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html
Rescheduling of Future Classes:
Unless we notify you otherwise classes will continue as scheduled. Legal Heat will comply with CDC directives and any governmental orders, and if classes are rescheduled because of these directives and orders, you will be notified. We will make the best effort attempts to hold all classes as scheduled. However, all class registrants assume the full risk if the course needs to be rescheduled to a future date due to Corona Virus / COVID 19 directives from either government or our retail partners.